Who is a Class Member
The North Carolina Outer Banks Class Action Settlement includes the following classes:
- Business Class: All businesses located and/or operating on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands during the time of the power outage. Note: This class does not include persons or entities renting homes to vacationers.
- Rental/Vacationer Class: All persons who rented a vacation property on Hatteras or Ocracoke Islands during the time of the power outage, together with all persons or entities that rented homes to Vacationers.
- Resident Class: All permanent residents of Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands at the time of the power outage.
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of otheryou may be eligible for.
Class members who submit a valid and timely claim form are eligible to receive full compensation for their economic losses.
Proof of Purchase
- You will need to provide the address where you incurred the economic losses as a result of the power outage.
There are four different claim forms for this settlement: Business, Property Owner, Vacationer, and Resident. Be sure to use the correct one.
Outer Banks Power Outage Settlement Notes
- In Re: Outer Banks Power Outage Litigation
- Case No. 4:17-cv-141-D
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Eastern Division
This class action lawsuit stems from an incident on August 27, 2019 where PLC Construction contractors who were working on the Bonner Bridge accidentally severed multiple transmission lines that supplied power to the Outer Bank islands of Hatteras and Ocracoke, resulting in a massive and costly power outage. The Governor was forced to declare a state of emergency and mandatory evacuations were ordered. The power was not restored until August 3 and the mandatory evacuation order was lifted shortly after.
The lawsuit contends that this power outage greatly affected tourism and many businesses suffered substantial economic losses.
Under the terms of the proposed settlement, businesses operating in the power outage area will receive $8.1 million. Residents, vacationers, and renters who were affected by the Outer Banks power outage will receive $2.25 million. Complete details about the case and settlement are provided on the Outer Banks Power Outage Settlement website.
Class members who wish to exclude themselves or opt-out of the settlement must do so by August 31, 2019. Class members who wish to submit a claim will need to do so by August 15, 2019.
- 10/15/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 7/31/18 Exclusion or Objection Deadline
- 9/14/18: Final approval hearing at 2:00 pm ET (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
*Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check OBXSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: PCL Outer Banks Claim Team, c/o GCG, P.O. Box 10481, Dublin, OH 43017-4081
- Phone: 844-402-8570
- Email: PCL.OuterBanks@us.crawco.com
- Daniel K. Bryson, Mona Lisa Wallace, and Robert Zaytoun of Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP