Who is a Class Member
Class members of the Tommie Copper False Advertising Class Action Settlement include all persons who purchased Tommie Copper Products between August 11, 2019 and August 19, 2019. According to the Class Notice, the Tommie Copper Products include:
- Crew Compression Socks
- Calf Compression Socks
- Back Braces
- Men’s Long Sleeve Compression Shirts
- Women’s Long Sleeve Compression Shirts
- Women’s Compression Tights
- Wrist Compression Sleeves
- Ankle Compression Sleeves
- Calf Compression Sleeves
- Elbow Compression Sleeves
- Knee Compression Sleeves
- Men’ s Compression Under-Shorts
- Women’s Compression Shorts
- Men’s Compression Shirts
- Women’s Compression Shirts
- Half Finger Compression Gloves
- Full Finger Compression Gloves
If you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of other class action settlementsyou may be eligible for.
The specific amount of cash that you can get depends on the number of Tommie Copper Products you purchased, whether you have receipts, and the number of valid claims submitted. Claimants can choose to receive cash payments as follows:
- With Proof of Purchase: $10.00 for every Tommie Copper Product Purchase; you must provide a copy of your receipt(s) or a retail rewards submission noting your purchases.
- No Proof of Purchase: $5.00 cash; maximum of one claim, with a maximum of two claims per household.
- Online Purchase Credit: Instead of a cash payment, Settlement Class Members may apply their cash recovery to an on-line purchase of Tommie Copper products at tommiecopper.com. Settlement Class Members choose this option will receive a 40% enhancement of the cash recovery good toward the purchase of Tommie Copper products.
Proof of Purchase
- Claimants who wish to submit a claim for a $10 cash payment for each Tommie Copper product purchased must provide proof of purchase documentation (i.e. receipts or retail rewards submissions) for all items purchased along with a completed claim form.
Tommie Copper False Advertising Settlement Notes
- In re Tommie Copper Products Consumer Litigation
- Case No. 7:15-cv-03183-AT
- Pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
In March 2016, seven named plaintiffs filed this class action lawsuit alleging that Tommie Copper and three other named defendants made numerous false and misleading statements about the “efficacy of their copper-infused compression fabric on pain relief, accelerations in recovery, and improvements in muscular power, strength, endurance, and injury management.”
Tommie Copper products are copper-infused compression products purportedly designed as the “next evolution of performance and recovery apparel”. You may have seen Tommie Copper products advertised on infomercials featuring television host Montel Williams and World Champion Bronco rider Shawn Minor.
The plaintiffs assert that Tommie Copper products actually do not aid in relieving pain, let alone chronic and debilitating pain, such as that associated with arthritis or multiple sclerosis and are essentially worthless and overpriced. In fact, the lawsuit states that clinical tests have found no meaningful therapeutic effect for copper concerning pain, inflammation, and stiffness beyond a placebo effect.
“Defendants’ conduct is particularly egregious as it takes advantage of the anxieties of consumers and, particularly, individuals who suffer from pain or chronic pain on the hunt for pain relief treatment, and the elderly who are particularly prone to joint pain issues such as arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome,” the Tommie Copper false advertising class action lawsuit states.
Tommie Copper denies any wrongdoing but says it agreed to the settlement in order to avoid spending additional money on litigation. Under the terms of the settlement, Tommie Copper will pay $700,000 in the form of cash payments or vouchers to eligible Class members who submit valid and timely claim forms. In addition to individual Class Member payouts, the settlement will also cover class notice and administration costs, attorneys’ fees and expenses, and incentive awards to Class Representatives.
Complete details are provided in the Class Notice, which is available on the Tommie Copper False Advertising Settlement website.
Class members who wish to opt-out or object to the terms of the Tommie Copper False Advertising Settlement must do so by August 19, 2019. Class members who wish to participate in the settlement must submit their claim form on or before August 19, 2019.
- 3/19/18: Claim Form Deadline
- 3/19/18: Objection or Exclusion Deadline
- 5/1/18: Final Hearing at 11:00 am ET* (class members do not need to attend this hearing in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie).
Settlement Class Members who wish to speak at the hearing should check TommieCopperSettlement.com to confirm that the date or time of the Hearing has not been changed.
- Mail: Tommie Copper Settlement Administrator, c/o Classaura Class Action Administration, 1718 Peachtree St. NW, Suite 1080, Atlanta, GA 30309
- Phone: 1-800-683-9359
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Antonio Vozzolo of Vozzolo LLC
- Ronald A. Marron, Skye Resendes, and William B. Richards, Jr. of The Law Offices of Ronald A. Marron APLC
- Adam R. Gonnelli of Faruqi & Faruqi LLP